Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Caumsett State Park 5K

Another Monday, another race...this was the third race in the Long Island Summer Park Race Series. Caumsett is nestled out on Lloyd's Neck. It is a serene park with a walled garden and nice, wide, paved paths. Unfortunately, its isolation means that getting a large number of racers in there takes a lot of time and even though we budgeted an extra hour for the trip, we barely made the starting line in time! Luckily, we got there and this was a chip race, so I got an accurate time even though I started 2 minutes after the gun.

It turns out that those extra long first two runs were exactly what I needed. This time I had no doubt that I could run a 5k, so I was able to keep up the pace and really challenge myself. The past few weeks of work paid off when I beat my goal of a 10 minute mile! The top female ran a 5:50 mile, which now seems more insane than ever. I mean, a 9:50 mile was tough for me, I can't even imagine how fast my legs would be moving as a 5:50 pace!

There is no race next week, so I now have an extra week to train for the 4K at Hempstead Lake. I think I will need a few more rules to prepare for that one.

No comments: