Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rule Three: Go the Distance

It is not enough to get out every day. It is not enough to set ambitious goals. In order to be prepared for the races it is necessary to go the distance. That means making sure that I run at least 5K multiple times a week.

This is a reasonable distance and as a new runner I know I have to log miles in order to condition myself to prepare for the next race. I want to be stronger, faster, more consistent, less afraid and that means going the distance 3+ times per week. Using mapmyrun.com, I have charted multiple runs between 2.5 and 5 miles around my home. This site is incredibly helpful, especially since it has and off-road feature that allows you to map runs through the woods or on the beach. I now have a quick reference of options for my daily runs and can even log my workouts on the site to keep track of my weekly progress.

This week I have gone the distance on Monday and Tuesday. I rested Wednesday and feel ready to log a bunch more miles before the next race on July 11.

No comments: