Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sunken Meadow 10K

What a run! This park is beautiful and the race crossed the 3/4 mile boardwalk twice and curved through wooded trails for most of the rest of the run. The hills made it challenging and the large number of people on narrow trails also created some bottlenecks, but overall this was a great course.

10K or 6.2 miles is the farthest I have run to date. I did walk some parts of the hills, but I still finished well under my goal time, crossing the finish line a few minutes under 1 hour 10 minutes. Next time, I want a ten minute mile or less!

My top three lessons from this race:
1) A 10K is doable - I always thought it was for super runners, but it is actually a nice, challenging distance that is suitable for beginners.
2) Always race yourself - I wanted to give up and walk in the last mile when people started passing me, then I reminded myself that this time I showed up and ran, which was more than I had ever done before. All I had to do was finish and I could beat all of my past selves. In the end, I left victorious!
3) It is worth it - I was tired. I didn't want to run. It was far and hilly and warm. Needless to say, I was not enthusiastic before the race. Then it was hard, really hard for me...but when I finished I was euphoric. It is worth putting your fears aside, squashing your excuses and just going for it. I am still basking in the afterglow and I cannot wait for next week's 5k!

No comments: